Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Finally, A Run for the Veterans! ~Patriot Run #8

helicopter parked by finish line
     As Veteran's Day approached, I was hoping to find a race nearby, and sure enough, one was just up the road 10 miles.  After my traditional race morning regimen of drinking lots of water, eating whatever my stomach can handle, getting race attire on, taping what needs to be taped, packing the bag,  & rolling out the kinks, my wonderful husband drove me to the VFW in New Richmond, WI.  The finish was very recognizable as it had a very cool helicopter parked by it.  The start was a block away or so, so I unfurl my running companion, stretched and jogged with Dan to the start line.  As we got closer to the start line, we were excited to see another flag!  It was carried by a man I see often in various races in the area.  He carried it proudly.  Though I was a bit worried for him, as the pole was wooden and probably would become quite heavy throughout a 10 mile race.



The small 10 mile race group was rearing to go when a little tune was played to begin the race.  As I crossed the starting mat, a man said, "Go Jean!"  Not sure who it was, but I know he was a flag fan!  My friend, Ali, joined me once again for most of the race.  Our plan was to run the 10 mile race, then run 10 miles home to get in our 20 mile run for our training for the upcoming marathon.

The first part of the race took us through town.  It was peaceful, and just the right temp.  I ran behind the other patriot runner for a couple miles, without him even knowing I was there, then he went out ahead.  Ali & I ran together for at least half the race.  I told her to go on ahead if she felt good, so she did.  She ran with a gal and little conversation with her about how some Americans don't truly understand how blessed we are.  Ali had lived in China for a year.  She had come to realize and appreciate the freedoms we have here, that the Chinese do not.

There was significant wind for a good part of the race, probably more than I've ever encountered.  There were times I needed to hold the pole like a joust just so the flag wouldn't fly away.  My "Papa-razzi" arrived, snapping pictures like crazy, just like when I was younger at track meets, etc.  He made me feel so important!  He snapped some, then drove off.  We turned a corner, went up and down a very windy hill, and there he was again - "Click! Click! Click!"  I passed him and he drove off.  Then the course led us down a little hill and over a beautiful little bridge, and guess who was there clicking away?  Yep, only this time, he was standing on top of his car!  What a goof!
taken from the top of Papa-razzi's car
At every water stop and corner, there were Vets who were volunteering as helpers for the race.  It was such a pleasure to thank them as I passed.  The rewarding part is that they thanked me back, every time.  I just hope they know how grateful so many are for what they have done for this country.

We had turned another corner, and thankfully the wind had subsided a bit.  Three miles to go.  My husband had parked alongside the course, set his camp chair out, and was sitting and cheering like he was at a parade.  Every athlete knows, it is always more fun when someone is cheering!

Everyone was pretty spread out at this point.  I could hear a train in the distance.  I remember crossing some tracks a mile or two back.  Sure hope everyone made it across!  Finally we were headed back to town.  The flag was waving proudly as I turned the final corner.  I just love bringing that flag across the finish line.  It really gets me thinking of how our military gets to the finish line - no matter the conditions - and how good it must feel to be called to serve in far away countries, do their duty, then return home to their families.  That is their finish line, and it is a much longer race.
to the finish line!
After the race, a volunteer came up to me and said, "I am just amazed at how you carry that flag.  You stand for everything good in America."  I almost cried.  Honestly, I didn't know what to say, other than, "Thank you, I'm honored."

To top it off, I actually placed 1st in my age group!  I was so grateful to have had the opportunity to run that day to show my gratitude to those who have done so much to keep us free!

Thank you to ALL Veterans!

Papa-razzi, Ali,  & me

1 comment:

  1. Awesome post Jean! I was reading about aircraft escrow services online when I came across your blog. I'm happy I did because that is a really cool helicopter. Thank you for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete