Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Who Are Your Heroes?

     As Grandma's Marathon weekend approaches, I have been thinking about all the heroes in my life.  Every do that?  Just stop to think about those people who have made the biggest difference in your life when you needed them most?  And I 'm not talking about Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, or Captain America...although I am a huge fan!  I'm talking of the real life ones that don't get T-shirts made for them.  I think everyone's list could be quite long, however, I have some to share with you.

When marathon training began back in February, everyone knows how miserable the weather can be here in Wisconsin that time of year.  14 miles was on the schedule one Saturday, probably in early March.  It was cloudy, misty/rainy, cold, and windy.  Last year's race attests to the fact that I don't do well in the cold.  I had gotten to about the 10th mile, when thoughts of calling it quits entered my mind.  I thought, my oldest son could come get me in his car, because my husband was out of town.  I made it another mile, when the battle in my head was leaning towards enduring to the end.  Then it rained a little harder, the wind blew a little brisker...I so wanted to sit in a warm car.  At mile 12, I called my son, Nathan, and told him I needed him to bike with me the remainder of the run so I don't give up.  He stopped what he was doing (probably sitting on the couch, in a warm house, watching tv) and soon I could see him on his bike coming toward me.  I suddenly had the desire to finish.  I don't know if I ever told him that he was my hero that day. ☺

Later in March, a great tragedy came to our community.  A well loved couple was hit by a drunk driver while riding their motorcycle on a freak, very warm, St. Patrick's Day.  The woman was killed, and the man lie in the hospital for weeks in an induced coma.  The couple happened to be the parents of two amazing boys who I had the opportunity of coaching last fall, one of which was also a good friend of my other son, Zac.  Naturally, everyone's heart broke at the loss of a wonderful lady, a man who has years of recovery ahead, and two young boys who, for the time being, were parent-less.  I am so grateful to live in the community that I do.  I have never seen people come together as they did, to not only help the the two boys, but the prepare to help the father throughout his recovery.  How blessed we are.  The first time I saw the two boys after the accident, was at a middle school track meet.  I have never seen such courage and strength in two amazing young boys.  They had radiant smiles on their faces, just like their mom had on her face every time I saw her.  The younger of the two came in first in the event he competed in.  It was obvious, they weren't going to dwell on "woes me" and focus on their future...just as their mother and father have raised them to do.  Again, I had found two more heroes.

Last spring, I lost one of my very best friends to melanoma.  She fought a long and hard year and a half before it overtook her frail body.  I have never seen such determination, such courage, such positiveness, such faith.  She left two small boys and a loving husband and a whole slew of friends and family.  She is missed greatly, but never will be forgotten.  I run a race dedicated to her every year that helps fund research to find a cure for melanoma.  I feel her so strongly running with me, as we once did in high school track.  She was added to my list of heroes quite some time ago.

Just recently, a friend notified me that she had been recently diagnosed with breast cancer, and that her husband had left her during her mastectomy...yeah...I know what you all are thinking.  She, on the other hand, is still so positive, and wants to focus on the future, for her and her children.  I just shake my head with an open mouth, and a heavy heart.  She amazes me.  She doesn't know it yet, but she is also one of my heroes.

When I hurt my back and was found helpless for two weeks, there were women who just showed up to help out....heroes again.

When my neighbor, who is battling cancer, comes up to me on the road, with her walker, and tells me she is so proud of me and my accomplishments... I'm thinking to myself, I chose to do all this intense running.  She didn't choose to get cancer, to loose bone strength in her back, and have to use a walker.  She's proud of me?  How humbling is that.  I think the world of that woman and love how positive and radiant she always is.

I can't forget to mention my mother and father...actually both sets. (I'm lucky enough to have two of each ;) How much they have loved me through thick and thin and how they have taught me what is right.  I hope I have been the loving parents they have been to me.

My husband and my children, give me strength and purpose everyday.  I wouldn't be me, without them. ♥

My greatest hero is Christ.  Without Him, none of this "life" would amount to anything.

My list wraps up with all the men and women who have sacrificed so much so that I can live my simple little life, in the country, with my five children, amazing husband, my loving animal companions, and to be able to do the things that I love to do...run...and run free.

As one of my favorite artists, Gretchen Wilson, has written so perfectly in her song, Blue Collar Done Turn Red sings,

"My flag's still flyin'
There ain't no denyin'
I'm American born and bred
Still proud and united
Bring hell and I fight it
This blue collar done turn red!
to hear the song, go to:              Gretchen's song of Blue Collar Done Turn Red 

So I ask you, who is your hero?  Whomever it may be, be sure to thank them.  They may not even realize the good that they are providing or have done.

...next stop...Duluth ☺


1 comment:

  1. Jean -
    I am so excited to have found your blog. I have seen you run a few races this year and I have to tell you that you are my hero. You may not have known it, but you have pushed me through a few races this year(one being the vets run). The Vets run was horrid with all of those hills and when I wanted to walk/quit, I kept saying "If that girl can carry a flag and run this killer race with ease, then I have no right to complain when I'm just carrying myself". At one point I was at the bottom of a hill and a man carrying a flag was at the top of the hill in front of me and you were on top of the hill behind me. I will never forget that sight as long as I live. So beautiful! And what you are doing is so beautiful. Thank you for what you are doing and keep waiving Ole' Glory High!

    ReplyDelete