Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Most Exciting Finish Ever!!!

Patriot Run #10 ~ William A. Irvin 5K ~ Duluth, MN

     Friday Afternoon gets pretty geared up in Duluth, MN.  Our group of 10 runners entered in the William A. Irvin 5K, start preparing for the big event.  We got our numbers pinned on, our chips on our shoes, & Captain America tattoos in place...we were ready to rock-n-roll!  For the first time, all members in my family are running, even the 5 year old.  Our friends and one of their daughters are entered, hoping to complete their first 5K this time.  (Last year, we had the wrong start time and weren't even parked when the start horn blew!)  I'm meeting my fellow Patriot runner, Kurt, near the William A. Irvin boat.  We will both be carrying the flags for this evening's event.
5K Runners

A crowded start
With over 1600 runners, Kurt & I decided to start near the back, as to avoid any face flapping behind us.  Low and behold, Sasquatch, from Jack Link's Beef Jerky, was in line with us.  Ever hugged a Sasquatch before?  I did, and lived to tell about it!  ☺ Starting near the back has it's challenges.  We had to dodge people right and left just to get up to pace. This must have went on for 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile, with many cheers from an exuberant crowd along the way.  I even heard a "Go Bringgold!"  from someone I knew not.

It took about one mile to get up to speed.  By that time, I had seen my son, Jordan, already on the return, as this was an out and back course.  One of the reasons that I love this particular 5K is the fans.  They are fantabulous! And they are everywhere! Almost the entire way!  There are cowbells, clappers, signs, cheers, trumpets, tubas, cheerleaders...it's awesome!  The man playing the tuba stepped onto the road and jogged with us playing, It's a Grand 'Ole Flag .  How cool is that?!

There were many who saluted, ever so respectfully.  Every time that gets me. It's so hard to cry and breathe while running at the same time, so often, I have to hold back.   I just know that there is a story behind their valiant patriotism. 

A Grand Finish
Now, the excitement begins...we headed into the final corner, around the DECC, that slingshots the runners down the final stretch to the finish by the boat.  The spectators must be several people deep.  All I hear are cheers and chants of U-S-A! U-S-A! Getting louder and louder.  I see arms and fists in the air, mouths open, hands clapping...I imagined that is what it felt like to be a US Olympian...unreal!  As Kurt & I rounded that corner we had the same reaction, without knowing it or planning it...flags held high, picked up the pace, arms in the air, and hands to our ears.  That crowd was insane!  We had found the mother-load of patriots!  That final 60 seconds will forever remain in my mind as the most exciting finish to any race I have ever run...ever.  The announcer announced "American flag" multiple times.  I really couldn't hear the rest of what was said above the crowd..


 Man! I have never been so proud to be an American!  This was such a great prelude to Grandma's marathon weekend.  Now it was time to prepare for tomorrow...26.2 miles, #11 Patriot Run and my 2nd with the American flag. 
The flag that hangs near the start/finish of the 5K

1 comment:

  1. Very inspirational to see you at Grandma's Marathon! Thank you for saluting our country, you made us all proud. I've got you in a segment of my video from the race: http://youtu.be/LpWg3Bm_Pfo

    Great to meet you on the course, we'll see you out there!

    Eric

    ReplyDelete