Monday, August 15, 2011

Training time!

Training began in the middle of February.  Living in Wisconsin, that means, unless you like subzero runs, it's a good time to get to know the treadmill.  Starting those early morning runs, wasn't such a drudgery this time.  It was as though I wasn't the only one in training.  With the thought of hoisting our flag while running past so many people, I'd get goosebumps and have energy I couldn't explain.  As I ran, I thought of all the men and women who have sacrificed so much for us, even their lives.  I could almost hear them cheering.  Again, more goosebumps...  This made me all the more excited to run.  As the days kept getting longer, and the temperatures would ever-so-gradually warm up, I was able to do more running outside.  Though it took it a very long time to warm up!  I can run in the rain, the snow, and the heat, but you can keep the cold!  That is not for me.  Unfortunately, it seemed every Saturday (long run day) it would be absolutely miserable:  cold, rainy, windy, cloudy, and even sleet & snow would fall.  I can think of one particular run, 17 miles I believe, that I almost didn't make it.  I had 4 miles to go, and had to call for my husband to bring more clothing.  I could feel my joints and muscles freezing up with every step.  My stride had significantly diminished so much that I think the average person could have walked faster.  I think I was even moaning with every step.  I was so cold!  My husband was by my side the rest of the way home.  I couldn't have trained for that marathon without his support!  ~  Another long run day was the day the world was supposed to end...remember that day?  It was supposed to end with fire...well, God had different plans.  It rained and rained and rained.  I have never been so wet on land.  It was a 12 mile run that day.  I think it rained for at least 10 of those miles, pouring for at least an hour somewhere in the middle.  Temps were not so bad, so I had fun with that run.  When I returned home, I lowered my arms and water came streaming out of the sleeves of my rain jacket.  ~  The last most memorable run, was a 21 mile run.  (It was supposed to be 20 miles but I missed calculated)  I had shed my $50 running pants and long sleeve Panther shirt (the school our kids go to) and placed them in a ditch under a "Neighborhood Crime Watch" sign, which was at a corner where the nearest house was a 1/2 mile away...pretty baron.  That was about 3 miles from home.  I continued my run, caught up with a friend who was training for her first 5K, then began my return route.  When I got to where I had put the clothes...they were gone.  Gone!  I couldn't believe it.  I was so mad, the last 3 miles went by pretty fast and pain free!  ~  Through the 4 months of training, I have realized that anyone can run a marathon, it's the training for it that makes you think twice.  I survived the crazy weather, I survived running 18 miles on a treadmill (not recommended!) I survived my minor injuries (with LOTS of physical therapy help) and I was rearing to go!  My last thing I needed to do was to actually run with the flag.  I had one week before the race. I had purchased a flag from Fleet Farm, American made, of course.  The pole was a retractable aluminum pole that a Vietnam Vet had recommended for me to use.  He uses it for the patriot guard.  Two of my boys accompanied me on their bikes while I ran 3 miles with the flag.  It was lighter, and more comfortable than I had thought it was going to be.  Cars would pass a little slower, I'm sure wondering what the heck I was doing.  Friends stopped me to ask what I was doing and wished me luck when I told them.  On my return to home, a truck was coming up the hill.  The driver, gave me a thumbs up, and blew his horn.  I knew then, this is going to be a very exciting ride!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Jill, I didn't mean to delete your comment, I was trying to respond by saying I fixed "Color guard to Patriot guard" It sounds better anyway! ;-) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete