Thursday, August 11, 2011

Making a Dream a Reality

     I came home from that run that day I had first got the inspiration to carry the flag and had to do some research.  I went straight to the computer and googled, "carrying the flag in a marathon".  I didn't know if it had been done, if it could be done, or anything.  The first two links that came up were about guys from MN who had carried the flag.  One had done it, because he had served and had been injured, but had recovered and wanted to show his patriotism.  The second guy, had a whole website with pictures, a blog, interviews, etc.  He runs in memory of his best friend who had been killed while serving to protect what we hold so dear.  I thought that was a pretty touching gesture.  I did not find anywhere that any women had carried the flag in any race, let alone a marathon.  Time went by.  Christmas came.  We began receiving letters like we always do that time of year.  One in particular comes from my math teacher who I had in Northern MN about 25 years ago.  In his letter, they tell of what each of their kids are doing, how most Christmas letters are.  They said one of their sons now runs 4 - 1/2 marathons a year, carrying a flag, in memory of his friend who was killed in the war...wait a second...I went back to the website I had visited 4 months prior and discovered that that was him!  What a small world!  I tracked him down on facebook, and began asking all the questions I had about how to train to carry a flag in a marathon.  He was so nice to answer all my crazy questions.  Through our conversations via facebook, we discovered that we would both be running in Duluth.  He would be running the 1/2 and I the full.  What a deal!  I don't really believe in coincidences.  This was meant to happen.  I think our message is an important one, and now we both are trying to spread it.  Freedom is not free, and is something we all have, but only some have paid the price... which I am ever so grateful for. 

Kurt's website is http://www.philcosfreedomteam.net/  

2 comments:

  1. God Bless America and the brave and courageous people like you who stand for her freedom and are willing to go the extra mile and in this case 26.2 miles. Keep freedom alive. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jean - I am still in awe of your 26.3 mile run with that full-sized flag! The fact that you simply responded to that "spark" of patriotism in your heart and turned it into something so powerful and inspiration to so many people ... it's just a wonderful example to all Americans. Thank you, God bless you and God bless America. Darren

    ReplyDelete