Thursday, August 25, 2011

Getting to the starting line...

     All packed up and headed to Duluth, with one stop in Superior for our oldest son to take his driver's exam.  Successfully completing his task, we were headed across the bridge.  I had an interview scheduled with WDIO tv that afternoon.  Thankfully, the interview wasn't too nerve racking.  First time I've ever experienced that. I was very excited to be able to get my message out.  (There should be a link to the interview on this page)  My uncle, the anchor of WDIO, gave us a tour of the station just before he had to go on air.  As we were walking around, "teasers" of my story, which was going to headline the news, kept rolling throughout each room.  It was a little strange seeing myself show up on the tv just before a commercial or something.   After we had left the production room and the newsroom and were heading for the door, a young man approached me and said, "I'm sorry I didn't recognize you at first that you were the one in the news clip running with the flag.  I want to thank you for doing that.  I'll be going over seas in a couple of months and really appreciate what you are doing."  What a deal, I thought.  It brought my friend to tears who was with us and gave me goosebumps.  I then told him I was honored to do so and thanked him for serving.  Later that day, he actually put a call-out on facebook to any military to come and support me at the race.  What a humbling moment.
     In decided what should I wear, I didn't want too much attention directed at me.  It was all about the flag.  So I opted for black & white.  At first I wanted to have names of those who have served on my shirt, quickly realizing there are way too many of just people I know, and I was running for ALL who have served, both living and deceased.  Then it came to me, "United We Stand".  A statement so true.  Strength in numbers, right?  Now for the back of my shirt.  I know that there are some in congress who wish to take God out of certain places or events...well it was my job to keep Him in this one.  So, "One Nation Under God" seemed perfect.
     Not listening to the weather forecasts, I packed as if it was going to be "nice".  I was sorely mistaken.  Thanks goodness for the running expo!  I was able to purchase gloves, and arm covers there.  It rained and rained and rained.  Waking up the morning of to rain, of course, I did my normal stretching rituals, waking up my muscles, eating what little food my stomach would tolerate, and packed up my warm-up bag, which included the ever important flag.  A friend, who would also be running, was doing the same.  My husband drove us to the drop off, where it was still raining, and cold...still in the 40's.  My friend and I were sporting the garbage bags, as were many of the runners, to keep us dry until we get to the start.  Twenty-six miles actually seems longer when driven then when run, for some odd reason.  It seemed like an eternity to get to the start, raining the whole way.  By some miracle, as the buses arrived in Two Harbors at the start, the rain stopped...going against what had been predicted.  Hmmmm...try and tell me God wasn't a part of that!
     As we got off of the bus to join the other 8500 runners and even more spectators, the energy could easily be felt.  Music playing, runners busily stretching, warming up, using the porta-potties, and getting to their places in line...no turning back now!  Had my final source of energy, an orange, about 20 min before the race began.  After doing more stretching, they announced that they were soon going to start.  Time to unfurl the flag.  As I began twisting and lengthening the pole, a woman began to sing the Star Spangled Banner.  With no other flag in sight, people shuffled around me to form a large circle and covered their hearts.  O MY GOODNESS...Suddenly I became the flagpole to over 8000 people!  So I slowly grabbed the lower ring of the flag, because I hadn't had time to connect it yet, and raised it as high as I could,  the whole time feeling so humbled and honored to be holding the thing that all these people were saluting and had such respect for.  This was really happening...I was about to live one of my dreams!
    My friend had made his way up to his pace group and I to mine.   As I was anxiously waiting there, one woman gave me a thumbs up and thanked me for carrying the flag.  She told me that her best friend was still in Iraq.  She continued explained to me what happens when a soldier in killed;  the rest of the troops that are there,  line both sides of a path to the plane where the casket is carried past his or her fellow soldiers and then is sent home to their family.  Each of the members carry a flag forming a path lined with flags.  Me carrying the flag, reminded her of that.  She told me how that process helps them to remember that it wasn't just a soldier, but also a son, a daughter, a father, a mother...they are family.  Tears of great gratitude filled both our eyes. I could feel the emotion she had on this topic.  We hugged and wished each other luck.  We were just minutes away from the start of the 35th annual Grandma's Marathon.
My friend & I sporting the garbage bags
                  
The girl I met at the start who had served in Iraq

   

1 comment:

  1. Very cool Jean and a great cause! I am looking forward to reading about more of your adventures! Our brother in law is expected back from Afghanistan soon.
    Doug

    ReplyDelete